Monday, October 5, 2015

Ritchhart takes the Plate

The past several years have provided roadblocks for the Central softball program. Having three different coaches over three years can make it difficult for a team to focus on a game. However, they believe the uncertainty is now over with the addition of Mark Ritchhart the new head coach. When asked how she feels about Coach Ritchhart Mandy Jacquez a junior said, “he is so great. He really cares about us on and off the field.” Later a group of players was asked and the consensus was that, “he’s such an awesome coach and we love him and how he pushes us to be better.” The team spoke incredibly highly of him that I was excited to sit down and interview him myself.
When I had the opportunity to sit down and talk with him, we covered several questions about the program.  First I asked; how are you going to prepare for the team this upcoming season? He replied
“the mental aspect is very important. I want the team to do softball stuff on the regular basis. Making sure that the program is based on a positive environment, always having a winning attitude. I want the ladies to know that they are here for a reason, and that not everyone gets this opportunity and that they have a special gift.”
I then asked how did he feel about this year’s team? He replied “that I was very surprised how they accepted me in the program, and that the ability of the athletes I have excites me and I’m expecting a good year this year.”  Being at a Christian school I asked him what does he do to make the team connect closer to God? He replied
“we have devotion once a week, we pray at the beginning and the end of every practice. I enjoy having them connecting to God here and hopefully they connect with him after they leave from here as well. I always want my players to have God centered in their life.”
I agree with Coach Ritchhart this will be a great year here and I wish him and the softball team the best of luck this year.

By Alonzo Stafford

No comments:

Post a Comment