Monday, September 23, 2013

Babysitters ‘R Us (Central, That Is)


            Central is a veritable babysitters mill.  The campus is full of so many children; it’s handy to have so many students on hand to take care of them.  Just today, I happened to stop by Student Development for a mid-morning pick me up, when I was propositioned to babysit.  Just like that!  I was minding my own business, lamenting the fact that there was absolutely no chocolate left, when three faces of the staff nature turned my way.  Hesitantly, I asked what the job entailed.  Hey, I’m not against earning a few bucks on the side—I am the proverbial broke college student, after all.  But, as soon as, “…7:30 am to 6:30 pm this Saturday” was mentioned, I basically zoned out with a look of “I’m trying to be polite and listen to you, but that sounds horrifying” on my face.  Needless to say, I turned the wonderful opportunity to spend all day with a sweet five year old girl down.  This resulted in the immediate need for a replacement option and the rundown of a very short list of people suitable for the job. 

            Now, I’m not trying to criticize this system of foisting children in need of supervision on mostly clueless college students.  Hey, if they’re brave enough to leave those kids with us, more power to them!  I just think it’s kind of funny how often this happens.  I’ve been with certain friends who receive a call asking if they can babysit in fifteen minutes or just babysit for a random hour.  We are a convenient resource.  I understand, and it’s okay.  But, maybe we need a better system for this kind of thing.  Instead of trying to randomly pick a person, why don’t we start some kind of babysitting sign-up sheet.  If girls are interested in that sort of thing, have done it in the past, or whatever, they can just put their name and number on a list, and voila, a set group of people ready and willing to watch your kids.  I would have been politically correct and said “girls or guys,” but really do any of the guys on this campus babysit?  My follow-up article: “The Secret Every Guy Is Hiding:  Let Me Babysit Your Children, Because I Love Kids!”  Okay, that sounded a lot weirder typed out.  Anyhow, that’s something to think about: create a babysitter’s list!  In the meantime, if anyone’s interested in this current gig, feel free to talk to Amy Burrill, Lyndsi Romero, or Missy Mayse!
By: Stephanie Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment